If an InfantryType is inside a VehicleType withset, then the name of the VehicleType will change depending on several rules.
Given that there is only one VehicleType in the game withset, we will assume that we are working with the VehicleType known as the "IFV".
If your VehicleType is not called "IFV", then substitute the string "IFV" in the following examples with theof your VehicleType.
An IFV with no passenger is just called "IFV".
An IFV with a passenger which is not an InfantryType (meaning, it is a VehicleType, since no other object type can technically be a passenger) will be called "Rocket IFV".
An IFV whose passenger hasset is called "<passenger> IFV" (where <passenger> is the of the passenger).
If the passenger hasset (which is the default value) then the following rules apply:
- A) If the passenger's IFVMode weapon turret is turret index 1 (e.g. fvtur1.vxl), then the IFV will be called "Machine Gun IFV".
- B) If the passenger's IFVMode weapon turret is turret index 2 (e.g. fvtur2.vxl), then the IFV will be called "Repair IFV".
- C) If the passenger's IFVMode weapon turret is turret index 3 (e.g. fvtur3.vxl), then the IFV will be called "<passenger> IFV" (where <passenger> is the of the passenger).
- D) In all other cases (index 0 and index > 3) the IFV will be called "Rocket IFV".
- E) In Red Alert 2, where doesn't exist, one additional rule applies - if the passenger has a weapon whose warhead has set, it will be called "Machinegun IFV" regardless of the turret index.
Inconsistencies in Yuri's Revenge
In Yuri's Revenge, there are some inconsistencies with the use of:
- IFVMode 2 (machine gun A, turret 1) is used by the GI, Conscript and Spy, and is called "Machine Gun IFV"
- IFVMode 3 (flak weapon, turret 1) is used by the Flak Trooper. However, this results in "Machine Gun IFV", due to a lack of on the Flak Trooper.
- IFVMode 4 (machine gun B, turret 1) is used by the SEAL, Tanya, Boris, and is called "<passenger> IFV"
- IFVMode 4 (machine gun B, turret 1) is also used by Chrono Commando and Psi Commando, but for these units it is called "Machine Gun IFV". The Chrono Commando and Psi Commando do not have set, which causes this behaviour.
VehicleTypes as IFV passengers
The IFV naming system does not work with VehicleTypes. Whilst VehicleTypes can transform the IFV's turret and weapon, the IFV's tooltip will remain as "Rocket IFV".
Before you waste your time, you cannot solve the problem by rearranging turrets or modifying the string table. This has already been attempted without success.
Tooltip String Table Entries
People have asked what the string table entries are for the tooltips. These are:
- Tip:Machinegun="Machine Gun" (as in "Machine Gun IFV")
- Tip:Repair="Repair" (as in "Repair IFV")
- Tip:Rocket="Rocket" (as in "Rocket IFV")
- The "IFV" suffix in all cases is the IFV's entry.
- All other tooltips are built using the units' entry.
Relevant pseudocode is available at http://dc.strategy-x.com/src2/UnitClass/GetUIName.cpp.