|Values:||Signed integers: All whole numbers from -2147483648 to 2147483647; in rare cases, only from -32768 to 32767.|
|Special Values:||Negative values↓|
Specifies the maximum instances of a particular technotype that any given player may own before they will be prevented from building further instances (sidebar build icon gets disabled).
Instances of a unit include those that were built by the player, awarded at the start of the campaign or skirmish, awarded via a map trigger, created via a Cloning Vats or mutation, or mind-controlled from another player. A player is not prevented from exceeding the of a unit via any of the aforementioned methods except normal construction.
Settingto any negative value has a different effect from the normal behaviour. The absolute value of the number is used as the build limit, however this is now a limit on the number of times you can actually build the unit yourself. For example, if is set on the GI then you will only be able to build 5 GIs throughout the course of any given game. This is regardless of how many GIs you may have started with or obtain through other means. Once you have personally built |BuildLimit| instances of a unit, that unit's build icon will disappear from the sidebar until the next campaign or skirmish.
Sidebar icon is not available whenis set to 0.
Each super weapon type in the game can only be instantiated once per player. If you were to own, say, two Nuclear Missile Silos, you would still only have one Nuclear Missile super weapon available.has no effect on this. Other special-function buildings (such as the Ore Purifier, Industrial Plant and Cloning Vats) can stack their effects - they simply have set for reasons of balance.
- AI players are not subject to any unit's . AI players will build whichever units are required by the chosen regardless of how many instances of those units the AI player already owns.
- The BuildLimit system was created to allow the inclusion of so-called "hero" units, of which only one is supposed to exist at any given time. As such, the system was only designed to work for
. Whilst you can set a higher , you will not be able to queue up the entire limit 'in a row' - you will have to queue the last one separately. For example, if you had a unit with , you would have to either:
- Queue the first 4, build them, and then queue the final one.
- Queue the first 4, add a different unit to the queue, queue the final one.
- Build a different unit, queue all five, cancel the different unit unless you want it.